Old Kentucky Roads
I finally made it to Kentucky!! It is a special kind of beautiful and I love it. It's been quite the week that's for sure, I'm not even really sure where to start. We had our last few days of class in the MTC which were amazing and I really miss my district and my amazing teachers. I loved the MTC and it is definitely one of my favorite places on earth. The spirit is always so strong there and I learned so much that I will never forget.
We left the MTC Monday morning at about 5:30 a.m. and we flew into Kentucky at 5:30 p.m. The weather felt amazing and I'm so glad to be back in humid weather. No offense to Utah but I wasn't appreciating it. But anyways, we got to the mission home Monday night and it is the cutest little home built in the 1960's with brick walls and all. My mission president is President Hughes and him and his wife are absolutely amazing. I am so grateful for them and their testimonies of the gospel. I am so grateful I got sent here. They call it the GKLM (Great Kentucky Louisville Mission) and it truly is great. No offense to any of y'all but it's the best mission. We got to spend the first night in the mission home and then the next day we were able to meet our trainers. YAY!! My trainer is Sister West and she is the greatest. She's from Heber City, Utah and she ran for UVU before coming out here so we have been running and she's really been teaching me a lesson. She has an amazing testimony and excitement about this work and I love studying the gospel with her.
We had quite the week and I know Heavenly Father blessed us with so much this week. I am serving in the Woodhaven area over the Louisville 6th ward. We are in a car share so we bike half of the week and then we have a car the other half which is actually pretty nice because it's good to get in the exercise and sometimes it's cold so having a car is really nice. I haven't crashed my bike yet but I've definitely had a few tumbles, lets just leave it at that.
I've learned a few things about Kentucky this week:
1: they are horrible drivers and the roads are weirdly thin
2: for some odd reason too many people park their cars in their yard when there is a driveway right next to it
3: the people TALK, I've never met so many people that can talk endlessly but I love them
4: there's a few less teeth around these parts but the people have the greatest hearts honestly
The people here are amazing. So many people have a deep love for their Savior and live in a way that shows that. We met with this wonderful lady named Sarah. She just turned 90 and struggles to hear but she loves to have us over to read the Book of Mormon with her. She says even though she can't hear very well she loves the way she feels, the spirit is strong when we get to meet with her and I love learning more about the gospel with people that I love. This first week being out here I have gotten asked countless times why did I serve a mission. There's a lot of things i could say to answer that but one thing I love about this area is the love that people have for their families and I love my family so much of course. I didn't come out here for 18 months for a fun vacation I left my family which I love so much for 18 months so I could help other families be together forever and that's worth everything to me. I am going to be very honest, I wish someone would have told me how hard this was going to go be because it is hard but I also wish someone would have told me how happy it would make me and how much Heavenly Father is involved in every little thing in our lives. There's a quote that I am sure many have heard but a couple years ago President Nelson said, "the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives." I love that so much and it really is true, I know that we can have amazing levels of joy as we focus on our Savior.
In the words of Linda Armstrong, stay blessed y'all.
We left the MTC Monday morning at about 5:30 a.m. and we flew into Kentucky at 5:30 p.m. The weather felt amazing and I'm so glad to be back in humid weather. No offense to Utah but I wasn't appreciating it. But anyways, we got to the mission home Monday night and it is the cutest little home built in the 1960's with brick walls and all. My mission president is President Hughes and him and his wife are absolutely amazing. I am so grateful for them and their testimonies of the gospel. I am so grateful I got sent here. They call it the GKLM (Great Kentucky Louisville Mission) and it truly is great. No offense to any of y'all but it's the best mission. We got to spend the first night in the mission home and then the next day we were able to meet our trainers. YAY!! My trainer is Sister West and she is the greatest. She's from Heber City, Utah and she ran for UVU before coming out here so we have been running and she's really been teaching me a lesson. She has an amazing testimony and excitement about this work and I love studying the gospel with her.
We had quite the week and I know Heavenly Father blessed us with so much this week. I am serving in the Woodhaven area over the Louisville 6th ward. We are in a car share so we bike half of the week and then we have a car the other half which is actually pretty nice because it's good to get in the exercise and sometimes it's cold so having a car is really nice. I haven't crashed my bike yet but I've definitely had a few tumbles, lets just leave it at that.
I've learned a few things about Kentucky this week:
1: they are horrible drivers and the roads are weirdly thin
2: for some odd reason too many people park their cars in their yard when there is a driveway right next to it
3: the people TALK, I've never met so many people that can talk endlessly but I love them
4: there's a few less teeth around these parts but the people have the greatest hearts honestly
The people here are amazing. So many people have a deep love for their Savior and live in a way that shows that. We met with this wonderful lady named Sarah. She just turned 90 and struggles to hear but she loves to have us over to read the Book of Mormon with her. She says even though she can't hear very well she loves the way she feels, the spirit is strong when we get to meet with her and I love learning more about the gospel with people that I love. This first week being out here I have gotten asked countless times why did I serve a mission. There's a lot of things i could say to answer that but one thing I love about this area is the love that people have for their families and I love my family so much of course. I didn't come out here for 18 months for a fun vacation I left my family which I love so much for 18 months so I could help other families be together forever and that's worth everything to me. I am going to be very honest, I wish someone would have told me how hard this was going to go be because it is hard but I also wish someone would have told me how happy it would make me and how much Heavenly Father is involved in every little thing in our lives. There's a quote that I am sure many have heard but a couple years ago President Nelson said, "the joy we feel has little to do with the circumstances of our lives and everything to do with the focus of our lives." I love that so much and it really is true, I know that we can have amazing levels of joy as we focus on our Savior.
In the words of Linda Armstrong, stay blessed y'all.





